Tanzania to build first maternity hospital in Dar es Salaam

Maternity-Training-
Child health services in Tanzania

The Tanzanian government has made clear its intentions to construct their first maternity hospital in Dar es Salaam to help mothers deliver in safe and secure environment. The hospital is expected to accommodate up to 600 women at any given time.

Dar es Salaam Regional Commissioner (RC), Mr. Saidi Meck Sadiki said that they have already established a bank that was ready to partner with the government in the project. He also added that they have already earmarked a location and are having talks with the city council on acquiring the plot.

Dar es Salaam is the largest city in Tanzania with an estimated population of about 4.3 million people. This population rate is expected to rise to 7 million by 2025. The available health facilities are not able to deal with an average 300 to 350 babies delivered daily. This has prompted the government to establish a separate facility that will be used specifically for maternity purposes.

Mr. Sadiki said that 95% of Tanzanian women prefer to deliver in health facilities due to improved medical services. Once completed, the remaining 5% are expected to be covered by the maternity hospital.

President Jakaya Kikwete has called for effective use of scorecards to properly document quarterly evaluation of maternal, newborn and child health (MNCH).

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here