The Government of Zambia has purchased 2,000 solar-powered milling machines. This is under the Presidential Solar Milling Plant Initiative.
According to Chanda Kasolo, Eastern Province Permanent Secretary,”In Eastern Province, there has been an allocation of 358 solar plants. They have been spread across the province.”
He said through assistant secretary Royd Tembo that the programme started in December 2015. So far 100 solar milling plants are already set up in five districts in the province. These are Chadiza, Lundazi, Katete, Vubwi and Chipata.
Solar Milling Programme
“The Zambia Cooperative Federation will launch the implementation of the Presidential Solar Milling Plant programme. This is the apex board of the cooperative movement in Zambia,” Mr Kasolo said.
He added that the intended beneficiaries of the initiative are primary cooperative societies. They will contribute in value-addition to the staple food of the nation.
- Zambia shortlists ten firms for construction of 100 MW solar projects
- Zambia to complete 50 MW solar project in September
- Kenyan firms to get US $75m funding for solar power plants projects
- US $9.5m Trekkopje solar project in Namibia now operational
- Solar projects in Kenya to benefit from multiple financial instruments