Who are we?
Zakheling-Bricks Blockyard is a Socio-Economic Development Enterprise that engages in the production and supply of high quality, cost-effective, environmentally friendly interlocking building bricks from their location in the 2nd biggest township in South Africa – Vosloorus; supplying the Ekurhuleni district, surrounding areas and the greater South Africa.
Our primary purpose is common good. Through our social enterprise, we are striving to deliver a massive direct and positive impact by changing lives and building successful futures with sustainable opportunities.
To pioneer the revolution of entrepreneurship in South Africa; enabling self-sustenance activities. Thus, nurturing Entrepreneurship as a gateway to a better life.
Have a “Zest” for life
What Is the Role of Social Enterprise in Addressing the World’s Problems?
A social enterprise is not a silver-bullet, but it is a promising approach to fulfilling unmet needs and fostering genuinely “triple-bottom-line” organisations. It’s certainly not the only solution, but it is most definitely a solution.
• A social enterprise can be a powerful complement to core activities when it advances the social mission and the financial sustainability of stakeholders.
• A social enterprise gives entrepreneurs the ability to bake social impact and financial sustainability into the organisation’s DNA from its outset.
• For traditional businesses, social enterprise initiatives enable a company to integrate social impact into business operations and prioritise social goals alongside financial returns.
What do we do?
We manufacture “Zakheling-Bricks” that are interlocking which once cured, the blocks can be dry-stacked with no mortar. These soil cement interlocking blocks lock front and back, top and bottom so each block is dry stacked and locked into place.
The unique dry-stacking building system uses mortar in the first few courses and the top 3-4 courses. The rest of the super structure is dry-stacked representing significant savings in time, skilled labour requirements and ultimately project construction costs.
Our product is ideal for remote sites where transport, cement and sand costs are high. We can also tailor a perfect enabler of community development through skills transfer as local labourers can be involved to manufacture the bricks while foundations are being laid.
Our products are also an eco-friendly, cost-saving alternative to conventional cement bricks and blocks; approximately 37 X 220mm bricks are required per square-metre.
Why us our products for your construction project?
1. Our product create a smooth finish that can be left as a face brick finish for outside walls and plastered on internal walls. As a recommendation outside face brick walls should be treated with a water repellent to protect the outer surface.
2. These walls can be painted whether plastered or not.
3. Our blocks are quick to lay as the blocks interlock requiring no mortar joints except in the foundation courses, below the roof structure and above lintels. On average a block layer could lay up to 500 blocks per day which is equivalent to 1500 standard stock bricks per day.
4. Our blocks can be used in wet climates with a water repellent applied to the blocks to protect the surface.
5. Our blocks lock on all four sides, (i.e. front; back; top and bottom) which ensures each block is locked into place. The foundation is laid in mortar as normal, blocks from the first course up can be dry-stacked. The top 3-4 courses below the roof structure must be bedded in mortar (ring beam). This secures the wall ensuring each block is perfectly locked and in place.
Summary of key benefits for using our products?
Little mortar is needed because there’s no mortar in the elevation, 50% less cement is used and 75% of a wall is dry-stacked.
All window, door, slab and roofing systems are similar to the conventional ones.
• Construction Speed
Quick & speedy construction since 800 blocks laid per day is the equivalent of laying 2,400 standard stock bricks.
• Local Materials
The material required for production, such as soil, is widely available locally and is not imported from long distances.
• Temperature Regulating
These bricks will give your home the inertia necessary for perfect temperature control. Good external insulation provides thermal regulation, reducing energy costs.
• Structural Stability
Grout holes and channel blocks provide means to insert steel reinforcements – instead of infill walls – in vulnerable parts of buildings for increased wind [and earthquake resistance].
More advantages resulting from the use of our blocks include:
• Resistance, termites cannot damage the blocks
• Reduced building costs
• Cost savings from building load-bearing walls
• Large scale production from centralised production unit
• Also suitable for the construction of multi-story building
What are some of the frequently asked questions about our bricks?
Q: What is the difference between traditional building bricks & blocks to Zakheling-Bricks- by-Zakhele?
A: Zakheling-Bricks-by-Zakhele are interlocking. Interlocking refers to the male and female ridges on the top and bottom as well as front and back of the bricks. These ridges then lock into one another; the bricks into place.
Q: Are Zakheling-Bricks-by-Zakhele safe to build with?
A: Zakheling-Bricks-by-Zakhele are interlocking; meaning they lock on all four sides, (i.e. front; back; top and bottom) which ensures each block is locked into place. The foundation is laid in mortar as normal, blocks from the first course up can be dry-stacked. The top three to four courses below the roof structure must be bedded in mortar (ringbeam). This secures the wall ensuring each block is perfectly locked and in place.
Q: What is the difference between the 220mm Zakheling-Bricks; the 140mm Zakheling-Bricks and the 180mm Zakheling-Brick?
A: The 220mm Zakheling-Brick is mostly dry-stacked (except for foundations, ring beam and lintels) and is suitable for any walls in the structure.
The 140mm Zakheling-brick is a semi dry-stacked block. Slurry is made from fine sand and cement and poured into the cavities of the 140mm blocks. This locks the structure together creating a firm wall. The most common application would be internal partitioning wall.
The 180mm Zakheling-brick functions similarly to the 220mm brick as a dry-stacked brick but can save you up to 15% in material costs. The disadvantage would be the cornering, which must be plastered to achieve the required load strength.
Q: How many 220mm Zakheling-Bricks in a square meter of wall?
A: There are approximately 37 Zakheling-Bricks in one square meter of wall.
Q: How many 140mm Zakheling-Bricks in a square meter of wall?
A: There are approximately 37 Zakheling-Bricks in one square meter of wall.
Q: If producing the bricks on-site; How long does it take before blocks are ready for construction?
A: It is highly recommended that the bricks are cured under black plastic for a minimum of 7 days. Allow the blocks to dry for a further 7 days before building. These bricks will achieve maximum strength after 28 days.
Q: How strong are Zakheling-Bricks?
A: To achieve a minimum 7MPa brick it is highly recommended that 8% cement is used.
Q: What gives Zakheling-Bricks their colour?
A: The colour of Zakheling-Bricks is determined by the colour of the soil being used to produce the blocks.
What have others built in similar technology?
Luxury Super Structures
BUILD FASTER AND COST EFFECTIVELY WITH ZAKHELING-BRICKS
Contact us TODAY to SAVE on construction.
Four ways Zakheling-Bricks save you Money, Time and Increase your Productivity:
1. Local Material – hydraulically compressed soil (earth) mixed with cement into solid bricks.
2. Speed – dry-stack bricks in the superstructure representing as much as a 30% saving in cost and time as bricks can be laid 3 times faster than cement blocks therefore less labour time per house and faster construction.
3. Mobility – a mobile production plat for onsite block production. Reducing transport costs.
4. Green-Building Technology – build thermally efficient structures reducing energy requirements, cool during warm weather and warm during cool weather.
Benefits of using Zakheling-Bricks:
• Save up to 30% in construction costs.
• Faster and Easier construction.
• High Quality face-brick like finish.
• Mobile production plant enable you to save on Transportation costs.
Contact Person : Mr. Zakhele Mkhatshwa the Social-Entrepreneur (Managing Director)
Cellphone Number : +27 78 785 3104
Email address : [email protected]