COAST WATER SERVICES BOARD
Project: Improvement of Drinking Water and Sanitation Systems in Mombasa – Mwache Project
Credit No. CKE 1103
Assignment Title: Consultancy Services for Preparation of Preliminary Design, Tender Documents, Safeguards (ESIA and RAP) Reports and Construction Supervision of Mwache Water Treatment Plant.
Contract No: CWSB/AFD/MWCE/C/4/2017
Request for Expressions of Interest (REOI) – Republished
(CONSULTING SERVICES – FIRMS SELECTION)
1. The Republic of Kenya has received a credit from the French Development Agency (AFD) toward the cost of the ‘Improvement of Drinking Water and Sanitation Systems in Mombasa – Mwache Project’, and intends to use part of the funds thereof for payments under the following Contract: Consultancy Services for Preparation of Preliminary Design, Tender Documents, Safeguards (ESIA and RAP) Reports and Construction Supervision of Mwache Water Treatment Plant, Contract No. CWSB/AFD/MWCE/C/4/2017.
2. The consulting services of this assignment (“the Services”) include:
1. Undertaking of topographic and geotechnical surveys,
2. Preparation of preliminary design and tender documents,
3. Assistance to CWSB in tendering process,
4. Works supervision services,
5. Assisting CWSB in construction completion and commissioning
6. Preparation of Safeguards Reports: Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) and Resettlement Action Plans (RAP) as per World Bank guidelines.
3. The Coast Water Services Board (CWSB), a state corporation under the Ministry of Water and Irrigation (MWI), now invites eligible consulting firms (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Eligibility criteria to AFD’s financing are specified in sub-clause 1.3 of the “Guidelines for the Procurement of the AFD-Financed Contracts in Foreign Countries”, available online on AFD’s website www.afd.fr.
4. In order to confirm eligibility for AFD’s financing, interested firms shall submit (as part of the expression of interest) a duly signed ‘statement of integrity’ which can be downloaded from www.cwsb.go.ke.
5. Interested Consultancy firms must provide information evidencing that they are qualified and experienced to perform those services, such as:
1. Presentation of the Consultancy firm: general presentation, scope of activities, financial data (sales figure, etc.) for the past 3 years, description of human resources, organigram, etc.
2. Experience on similar projects during the last 10 years. Similar projects include preliminary design, safeguards documents, preparation of tender documents and works supervision for the following infrastructure:
• Water pumping station of a capacity of at least 5, 000 m3/hour.
• Experience in high capacity in-line pumping stations with variable head will be welcome.
• Raw water pipeline (diameter 1,000 mm or larger),
• Water Treatment Plant of a capacity of at least 100,000 m3/d under
• Yellow or Gold FIDIC book (or similar conditions of contract), For evaluation purposes, past projects combining preliminary design, safeguards documents, tender document preparation and works supervision will be an added advantage
3. Experience in Sub-Saharan Africa in the water sector or for design and works supervision of main infrastructures during the last 10 years (references in East Africa and in Kenya will be an advantage),
4. Experience on donor funded projects
The consultant shall provide detail references sheets (not more than 20 references – if more than 20 references are presented, only the 20 first references will be evaluated) and a reference list to sum up references
5. Presence of appropriate skills among staff. The Consultant will provide information for potential involvement of following staffs (not limited to),
• Team Leader for large water infrastructure projects
• Water treatment expert,
• Electromechanical expert with experience in large pumping stations,
• Civil engineer,
• Procurement expert with experience in Yellow FIDIC or similar conditions of contract,
• Geotechnical expert,
• Works supervision expert,
• Environmental expert
• Social expert.
Potential backstopping support should also be described.
Permanent staff of the consulting firm will be favored. The consultant shall present the proposed staff list in a table as per the following template (CV are not required at this stage):
6. The attention of interested consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.2.3 of the AFD procurement guidelines: Guidelines for the procurement of AFD financed contracts in Foreign Countries, setting forth the AFD’s policy on conflict of interest.
7. Consultants may associate with other firms in the form of a joint venture or a sub consultancy to enhance their qualifications. The form of association, where applicable, should be indicated in the expression of interest. Permanent office or representation of the association in Kenya would be an advantage. A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Quality and Cost Based Selection (QCBS) method set out in the Consultant Guidelines.
8. Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours from 0745 to 1630 hours from Monday to Friday excluding lunch hour (1230 to 1400 hours and public holidays).
9. Among the submitted applications, the Coast Water Services Board will shortlist a maximum of Six (6) consultants, to whom the Request for Proposals to carry out the services shall be issued.
10. Expressions of interest (two hard copies, plus electronic document on Flash disk) should be clearly marked with the following statements “Consultancy Services for Preparation of Detailed Designs, Tender Documents, Safeguards (ESIA and RAP) Reports and Construction Supervision of Mwache Water Treatment Plant, Contract No. CWSB/AFD/MWCE/C/4/2017” and must be delivered in written form to the address below (in person, or by email) by 26th September, 2017 at 1200 hours local time.
11. Consulting firms that had expressed an interest on the previous REOI (published on 27th July, 2017) do not have to resend an offer, their first offer will be evaluated. Firms wishing to modify their offer can do so and in such a case only the second offer will be evaluated.
Chief Executive Officer
Coast Water Services Board
Mikindani Street, Off Nkrumah Road
Fax: +254 041 2316471
Email: [email protected]
COAST WATER SERVICES BOARD