$6 Billion Ras Laffan Petrochemical Complex Breaks Ground in Qatar

Home » Biggest projects » $6 Billion Ras Laffan Petrochemical Complex Breaks Ground in Qatar

QatarEnergy has just recently made an announcement on the official groundbreaking ceremony that foresaw the commencement of the construction of the Ras Laffan Petrochemical Complex, which is among the largest manufacturing complexes in the whole world. The Ras Laffan Petrochemical Complex shall possess an ethane cracker that will have a production capacity of up to 2.1 million tons annually of ethylene. This is set to make it the largest in the Middle East region and one of the largest in the whole world. This project is set to raise the production capacity of ethylene production of Qatar by over 40%. It will also be inclusive of a couple of polythene trains it a total combined yearly output of up to 1.7 million tons of High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) products of polymer thereby increasing the overall production of Qatar by approximately 50%.

QatarEnergy possesses an equity share that totals to 70% in the Ras Laffan Petrochemical Complex. The remaining 30% is owned by Chevron Philips Chemical.

In a statement made during the groundbreaking ceremony, his Excellency Mr Saad Sherida Al-Kaabi, pointed out the unique environmental qualities of the Ras Laffan Petrochemical Complex project, its world class construction, operations of the project, the technology standards that would be put in place, all designed in order to make sure energy is saved, and a quite major reduction of hydrocarbon emissions waste as compared to other global facilities of this kind.

Cost of the Ras Laffan Petrochemical Complex

Ras Laffan Petrochemical Complex will be constructed at a cost of $6 billion. This makes it the largest investment in the history of QatarEnergy in the petrochemical sector of Qatar. This is indeed a very important landmark in the downstream expansion strategy of QatarEnergy. The project is expected to reinforce the integrated position of the company as a key global energy player and bring in great economic benefits to Qatar.

Companies Involved in the Implementation of the Project

“Our prominent stand in the industry of petrochemicals will become stronger once we kick off production of the Golden Triangle Polymers Plant in the year 2026, which we are in the process of developing in the United States, Texas, at a cost of $8.5 billion partnering with Chevron Philips which is termed as the largest in the world,” stated the Minister of State or Energy Affairs.

Minister Al-Kaabi expressed gratitude to the administration and staff of the Chevron Philips Chemical of have partnered with QatarEnergy to enable the success of the project. He also extended gratitude to the dedicated teams of QatarEnergy who are putting in the hard work to also ensure the project is implemented.

“I am greatly honored to extend my gratitude to is highness, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Tani, who is the Amir of the State of Qatar for this ceremony and honoring us by being here, and for his great support in this Energy Sector.”

Also read: $100 Billion Alat Tech Hub Unveiled in Saudi Arabia

QatarEnergy Issues Contract on Laffan Refinery 1 Upgrade

$1 Billion Binghatti Mercedes-Benz Places Tower Launched in Dubai; the World’s First Mercedes-Benz Sky Scraper