Implenia and Stangeland Maskin JV Wins CHF 540 Million Rogfast Tunneling Project in Norway

Home » Biggest projects » Implenia and Stangeland Maskin JV Wins CHF 540 Million Rogfast Tunneling Project in Norway

The construction services company in Switzerland, Implenia has partnered with Stangeland Maskin, Norwegian construction firm to deliver a large and complex tunnel construction work worth CHF540 million (€551 million). It forms the part of the huge Rogfast project in Norway that has been launched by the Norwegian Public Roads Administration.


The JV’s first contract in 2023 was for the Rogfast project with a total of CHF 375 million or €382 million. The split of the contract was in favor of Implenia which took the 80% share in the contract while Stangeland Maskin took the remaining 20%. The subsequent contract for $733 million (CHF540 million) will be divided in a ratio of 77:23 between the two companies. This change makes implementation firm’s total earnings from the Rogfast project amount to CHF 720 million (€735 million).

Project overview

The second stage of the work, also called the E02 Kvitsøy contract is the most challenging part of the Rogfast project in Norway. This phase include construction of approximately 10 kilometres (6. 2 miles) of tunnel stretching from the island of Kvitsøy near Stavanger in the southwest Norway. Project includes construction of a two-way tunnel measuring a length of approximately 8. Km with length of 8 km (5. 5 mi) with the cross-section width of 10. It is 5 m (34. 4 ft) long. It will start below the sea at Kvitsøy and will stretch further Southwards and northwards with approximately 70 meters below the sea level.

The JV is also involved in the responsibility of other construction aspects of the project apart from tunneling. These include the interior finishing, the technical buildings, pumping stations and other vital facilities. The project also includes two ventilation shafts, a motorway intersection in the middle of the tunnel itself with slip roads and roundabouts, 1. the development of 6 km (1 mi) of road in the day zone, two bridges and a large marine fill which when completed will lead to development of a commercial area.


Implenia will be responsible for the tunnelling processes of the railway tunnel and the interior construction of the tunnel; while Stangeland Maskin will be responsible for the transport of sea fill and ground works and part of the road construction within the tunnel and day zone. Due to the integration with the other partners of the JV, this means that they are contributing to about 70% of total work needed for the Rogfast project.

Completion date

Construction is expected to start in the summer of this year with construction expected to be complete by the year 2030. This timeline is evidence of the fact that the task is enormous and is meant to bring about change with regard to connectivity and infrastructure within the region. Transporting routes are to be enhanced once the Rogfast project is complete with great boost to the local and national economy of Norway.


Due to the Rogfast project, Implenia increases its experience and competence in the construction of large-scale and complex projects, which strengthens its place in the international competition among construction companies. The successful delivery of this project will continue to enhance its status as a supplier of complex and technically advanced infrastructure solutions.

Read also Cowi Selected as Technical Advisors in the Construction of the World’s First Ship Tunnel in Norway: The First of its Kind

Read also Statkraft to invest $6bn in hydro and wind power in Norway