Wintershall Select SharpEye flame detectors for RAVN Oil Rig

Home » Projects » Wintershall Select SharpEye flame detectors for RAVN Oil Rig

In 2017, oil production commenced from Wintershall Noordzee BV, Rijswijk’s first independently operated Danish oil field. The Danish North Sea’s Ravn field, in Block 5/06, produces oil from a depth of 4,000 meters using a recently built production platform, around 300 kilometers north of the Dutch town of Den Helder.

A subsea pipeline delivers the produced crude oil to Wintershall Noordzee’s A6-A processing platform, which is situated about 18 kilometers from the Ravn platform. From there, it is fed into the current export network to the Netherlands.

Read also:Contracts awarded for development of Rhourde El Baguel oil field and related projects in Algeria

The appraisal through development concept was used by Wintershall Noordzee to develop Ravn Field in phases. With the aid of this concept, the company was expected to be able to continuously collect performance information on well productivity and reservoir lateral extent. According to the company, analysis of the data was anticipated to form the basis for and help with future field development options.

63.64% of Ravn Field is controlled by Wintershall Noordzee. The remaining 36.36% is held as a licensing partner by the Danish government-owned oil and gas company Nordsofonden.

Reported on  

Wintershall Select SharpEye flame detectors for RAVN Oil Rig

Wintershall chose the IR3 detectors for their new RAVN unmanned platform that will serve in the Danish part of the North Sea. The SharpEye detectors were installed to provide high performance detection of the entire rig.

The 40/40I optical flame detector is a multi spectrum based on three IR bands (IR3), detects fuel and gas fires at long distances with the highest immunity to false alarms. The 40/40I IR3 can detect a 1ft2 (0.1 m2) gasoline pan fire at 215 ft (65m) in less than 5 seconds.

Spectrex Inc. is a technology leader in optical Flame and Open Path Gas Detection (OPGD). Our patented optical UV/IR and IR3 Flame Detector designs, and pioneering patented Xenon Flash designs in OPGD flame detectors are now the standard for Oil & Gas projects.

A wide range of flame detectors are available, from ultra fast (msec) detection time to high sensitivity hydrocarbon and hydrogen flame detection, alongside the equally large OPGD range that can detect hazardous gases, from flammable hydrocarbons to toxic Ammonia and Hydrogen Sulfide.

All Spectrex products can operate in the toughest conditions, from African deserts to Alaskan waters and are fully approved to meet relevant third-party Ex hazardous area, performance and reliability standards to the wide range of application challenges, worldwide.

Wintershall Select SharpEye flame detectors for RAVN Oil Rig