A Chinese construction giant China Gezhouba Group Corporation (CGGC) has opened its North-West Africa headquarters in Abuja, Nigeria with a plan to increase local staff from current 5,000 to 20,000 in the region within the next three years.
CGGC President, Lyu Zexiang said at the launch that the regional headquarter, to cover about 18 African countries (eight in Central Africa, seven in West and three in North) will serve as a semi-independent branch, with power to take certain decisions without first seeking authorization from the China-based parent company.
He said the decision to site a major headquarters in Nigeria was informed by its confidence in the nation’s economy’s growth potentials.
He also pointed out that his company, which is coordinating the construction of the multi-billion dollars Mambilla Power Project, will ensure its prompt completion with its best expertise and materials.
Minister of State for Power, Mustapha Shehuri said the Federal Government was committed to ensuring that the 3000mw Mambilla Power project was completed and deliver at record time and that the government had directed all its relevant agencies and ministries to provide all necessary supports for the successful execution of the project.
“This project will cost about US$6billion. It is being executed with 85 per cent loan from Chinese Export/Import Bank, while the Nigerian government is providing the remaining 15 per cent funding.
We understand its importance for the nation’s energy requirement and by extension, the development of the economy. That is why the Federal Government is determined to ensure its prompt execution,” Shehuri said.
- China to support construction of Nigeria’s largest hydropower project
- NDPHC flags off US $18m injection sub-station power plant in Nasarrawa-Nigeria
- Nigeria set to construct 28.6MW power plants to improve power access
- Nigeria to Generate additional 14,000mw from Hydropower
- Construction works of Lagos-Ibadan Rail Project to commence this August