The Construction Engineering Association South Africa(CEASA) represents employers engaged in the construction engineering industry, operating in the structural, mechanical, electrical, instrumentation, piping and project management fields. In addition to its own activities, the CEA has two active divisions: the Labour Broking Division and the Temporary Employment Services Division.
The association also has close ties to the SA Institute of Steel Construction and the SA Institute of Welding.
It was founded in 1936 as the Transvaal Structural Engineering Association, changed its name subsequently to the Constructional Engineering Association and finally, to the Constructional Engineering Association (South Africa) in 1986. The CEA(SA) is 1 of 27 independent employer associations, each representing a different sector of the industry which together form the Steel and Engineering Industries Federation of Southern Africa (SEIFSA).
Any employer engaged in the Constructional Engineering Industry, which may include but not be limited to any of the following activities shall be eligible for membership of the Association:-
- those engaged in the fabrication of rolled metal sections and plate including the assembly, and/or erection
of engineering plant or structures and the repair and/or dismantling thereof.
- those engaged in construction site operations and activities, including maintenance work. These operations are taken to include, but are not limited to, all structural, mechanical, electrical and instrumentation work, and work related to these activities, on construction sites. Temporary workshops set up by members at or near construction sites are regarded as being included in construction site operations.
- those engaged in the manufacture and/or assembly and/or renovation and/or rectification and/or modification of railway
rolling stock including 610 mm gauge rolling stock-rolling stock includes locomotives and/or propulsion/traction units and/or
railway wagons and/or passenger coaches and/or guards vans.
- those engaged in the application of anti-corrosive coating and/or insulation of metal vessels and/or ducting and/or piping.
- those engaged in non-destructive testing (NDT) and employing operatives and inspection personnel.
- those engaged in the supply of labour with the
skills used in the industry, to the members of the Association and to the industry in general.