Britech Limited is incorporated in Kenya and has been operational since 2000. It works closely in association with African Consulting Engineering Services Limited of the U.K. which was incorporated in 1981.
The companies were formed by the Chairman and Chief Engineer of a group of Consulting Engineering firms which have been operational throughout East Africa since 1967. The company undertakes Geotechnical, Building, Structural and Civil Engineering projects which include all of the engineering works through design and project implementation for building schemes, factories, industrial developments, mobile phone and electricity transmission towers, hospitals, housing estates and agricultural enterprises.
Site Investigations, Materials Surveys, Design and Quality Control Testing for Civil, Structural and Building Engineering Projects in the region are undertaken by the consultancy from our Nairobi Head Office.
The consultancies maintain a Central Geotechnical Testing Laboratory in Nairobi which is permanently staffed by more than thirty Professional Engineers and Technicians. It is fully equipped and capable of undertaking all the main classes of soils and materials testing for specification compliance and foundation engineering. The company has an uninterrupted power supply, computerized reporting facilities and the latest computer aided design capability.
Structural and Building Engineering
The consultancy specializes in all aspects of structural and building engineering from conceptual analysis, through feasibility studies to design and construction supervision.
The projects undertaken include, offices, embassy buildings, hotels, apartment buildings, hospitals and clinics, schools, factories, telephone and electricity transmission towers, greenhouses, coldstores, packing halls, and housing constructed of reinforced concrete, structural steelwork, timber and a variety of other building materials.
The consultancy specializes in all aspects of civil engineering from conceptual analysis, through feasibility studies to design and construction supervision.
The projects undertaken include, highways, airports, infrastructural works, agricultural engineering, water supplies, sewerage reticulation and treatment, and surface water drainage for a large variety of projects in the public and private sectors of the economy.
Geotechnical and Materials Testing
The consultancy principals and senior technical staff are experts in geotechnical investigations, laboratory testing, foundation engineering, design and construction.
Survey teams undertake topographical and engineering surveys for Buildings, Highways and Public Health Engineering Projects, and Site Surveys for Industrial, Agricultural, Housing and Institutional Developments.
Office and Laboratory
The Britech Head Office and Laboratory are located in Nairobi and are operational every weekday and at weekends as necessary.
The laboratory was established in 1981 and has a staff comprising of Registered Engineers, Graduate Engineers and highly experienced Technicians with many years experience in site investigation and materials testing.
The testing of materials is carried out in accordance with the relevant Kenyan, British, American and International Standards as is concrete and bituminous mix design.
In Britech the test results are computer processed assuring Clients of reliable and timely delivery by fax or e-mail if required.
Contract Law and Arbitration
Britech employs senior staff qualified in contract Law Arbitration, Adjudication and Mediation.
A list of Britech’s Clients would be exhaustive but they come from all sectors of the construction industry in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and Ethiopia including, Kenya Government Agencies, Foreign Government Agencies particularly the British, Canadian, Chinese, Dutch and Australian, Consulting Engineers, Contractors, Private Developers and Architects
Examples of Recent Projects
We present below an abridged list of projects undertaken by the consultancies in recent years.
- Geotechnical Site Investigation – Tatu City Kiambu
- Geotechnical Site Investigation – Addax Kenya, LPG deport
- Geotechnical Site Investigation – French Embassy, Nairobi Chancery
- Geotechnical Site Investigation – Swiss Embassy, Nairobi Chancery
- Geotechnical Site Investigation – Diamond Trust Bank, Headquarters on Limuru Road
- Site Investigation, Structural and Civil Design – Eight Residential Units on Mbambane Road Lavington
- Site Investigation – Nextgen Office Park, Mombasa Road
- Site Investigation, Civil and Structural Design – Eagle Africa Insurance Brokers Headquarters, Upperhill
- Site Investigations, Design and Contract Document preparation for the 340 kilometre long Garissa-Modogashi-Wajir Road Project in Kenya
- Standard Chartered Bank, Regional H.Q., Nairobi – Civil Design and Construction Supervision
- Longonot Place, Office Block, Upperhill, Nairobi – Civil and Structural Engineering Design and Construction Supervision
- Copy Cat Centre, Westlands – Civil Engineering Design and Construction Supervision
- Commercial Development on Parklands Road – Civil and Structural Design
- Three Storey Apartment Block for P.K. Shah, Parklands – Civil and Structural Design
- Kenya Commercial Bank, Meru Branch – Civil and Structural Design
- Supervision of materials testing for the 109 kilometre long Ena-Ishiara-Meru Road Project for Runji and Partners Consulting Engineers.
- Site Investigations and materials testing for the road alignment and materials sites for the Juba to Nimule Road in Southern Sudan
- Safaricom Transmission Masts – Site Investigations and Foundation recommendations
- Celtel Transmission Masts – Site Investigations and Foundation recommendations
- Laboratory testing for the pavement design of the Mwingi – Katse, Katse Tana South and Tana North Mukothimba for BCEOM/Egis Route – Scetauroute
- Bridge Sites Geotechnical Engineering for the seven bridges on the Juba to Nimule Road
- Supervision of materials testing for the 32 kilometre long Makutano Kithimani Road Project for Snowmount Consultants.
- Site Investigations and Geotechnical Engineering for the Lake Turkana Wind Turbine Project in Kenya.
- Geotechnical Engineering and Concrete mix design for Nairobi International Airport.
- Mediator – Coca-Cola Headquarters Dispute
- Arbitrator – Italbuild vs M.O.W. Dispute
- Arbitrator – China Road and Bridge Corporation vs Niazon (K) Ltd.
- Arbitration – Expert Witness for Stirling – TM Dispute
- Dyer and Blair Offices, Westlands – Site Investigations.
- SDV Transami Coffee Go-downs Extensions – Site Investigations.
- Kolobot Drive Site Investigations (2007)
- Australian High Commission – Site Investigations and Site Selection Study, Runda, Nairobi.
- Jomo Kenyatta Airport – Terminal Building, Taxiways and Apron extension project – Materials Engineering Design.
- Zanzibar Airport – Emergency Renovation of the Runway Repairs Project – Contract Administration.
- Kaloleni Cement Expansion Plant for Athi River Mining – Project Engineer and Site Supervision.
- Highpoint Hotel, Upper Hill Road, Nairobi. – Civil and Structural Design and Construction Supervision.
- Chaka Road Apartments – Kilimani, Nairobi. – Civil and Structural Design.
- European Community Building – Ragati Road Nairobi – Civil Design and Construction Supervision.
- Karen Country Club – Fitness Centre and Sewerage Reticulation.
- Nairobi Business Park – Specification Compliance Testing.
- National and Regional Blood Transfusion Centres, Nairobi and Kisumu – Survey, Site Investigation, Structural and Civil Engineering Design and Construction Supervision.
- Kenyatta National Hospital, Rehabilitation – Survey, Site Investigation, Civil Engineering Design and Construction Supervision.
- Dar Ul Aman House – The Aga Khan’s Residence in Muthaiga Nairobi.
- Aga Khan Hospital, Dar es Salaam – Survey, Site Investigations, Foundation Engineering and Specification Compliance Testing.
- Aga Khan Hospital, Nairobi – Survey, Site Investigations, Foundation Engineering and Specification Compliance Testing.
- Kilindini School, Mombasa – Survey, Site Investigations and Foundation Engineering.
- Canadian High Commission, Gigiri – Survey, Site Selection, Site Investigations and Foundation Engineering.
- EBritish High Commissioner’s House, Muthaiga, Nairobi – Water Supply, Civil and Structural Rehabilitation Works.
- Ewaso Ngiro Hydroelectric Dam Project – Geotechnical Engineering including Soils and Materials Testing for the Site Investigations in the Surtech Nairobi Laboratory.
- Kasioni Coffee Factory, Thika – Survey, Site Investigations, Structural and Civil Engineering Design, Project Management and Specification Compliance Testing.
- British Foreign and Commonwealth Office – Nairobi Estates Department – Civil and Structural, l Building and Rehabilitation Works.
- Sulmac Company Ltd., Naivasha – Survey, Site Investigations, Structural and Civil Engineering Design, Project Management and Specification Compliance Testing for the Flower Packing Hall, Access roads and Drainage.
- National Bank of Kenya, Nairobi – Structural Survey and Bomb Blast Inspection Report.
- Mwembe Tayari Market Building, Mombasa – Physical Survey, Structural Survey and Building Inspection Report plus remedial works structural design and construction supervision.
- Kinangop Agricultural Dam Project for the Commonwealth Development Corporation – Survey, Site Investigation, Design and Construction Supervision.
- Northlake Nurseries, Naivasha – Survey, Site Investigations, Design and Construction Supervision of the Estate Infrastructure, Greenhouses, Packing Hall and Refrigeration Facilities.
- Ziwa to Kitale Roads Project – Construction Supervision of 90 km. of new bituminous road funded by the GOK and the African Development Bank.
- Kitale to Endebess Road – Survey, Site Investigation, Overlay Design and Project Supervision of the Rehabilitation of 60 km. of asphalt road funded from the GOK Fuel Levy Fund.
- Kiganjo Police Training College, Nyeri – Structural Engineering Design and Construction Supervision.
- British Embassy, Addis Ababa Visa Administration Building – Survey, Site Investigation, Structural and Civil Engineering Design and Construction Supervision.