Rhombus Concrete was found in 2014 and is now one of the leading manufacturer of premixed concrete in Nairobi, Kenya. With the full range of pre-mixed concrete products, technical resources, consistently high environmental performance and a wealth of practical experience within the building industry, it truly is a company that is doing well.
They are a company focused on creating sustainable value by providing industry-leading products and solutions to satisfy the construction needs of their customers around Nairobi and its environs. They strive to make the future better for their customers, their shareholders, and their communities by becoming Kenya’s most efficient and innovative ready-mix company.
Why Rhombus Concrete
Rhombus Concrete can produce mixes to cover any application using their highly computerized 120 cubic metres per hour batching plant. Rhombus Concrete also operates a fleet of 12 Concrete Truck Mixers, 2 fixed pumps, 2 boom pumps and one cement bulker. With all these resources our service is second to none and we pride ourselves on being the best.
How does Rhombus concrete see the African ready-mix concrete market?
Africa is at the moment a high-growth region. Construction happens to be a key driver of the growth we are seeing in African countries. The ready-mix market is therefore going to continuing with the impressive growth in the coming years.
Why should Africa embrace ready-mix concrete?
- With ready-mix there is consistence of quality in the product
- Time saving – The use of ready-mix concrete leads to improvement in productivity in the construction industry
- Reduce cement consumption – Professional mixing and handling, while producing the ready mix concrete to order, means less waste and overall less cement consumption
- Versatile – You can order ready mixed concrete to suit a variety of project needs. Each batch is custom ordered for specific compressive strength needs and uses, mixed with specific admixtures and materials to give you the best and most consistent quality of concrete
- Reduced pollution – Concrete production is a noisy affair. By having your concrete mixed offsite, you won’t have to worry about bothering the neighbourhood with noise and air pollution. And during the production process, less fuel will be used and there will be less dust pollution since the concrete uses bulk cement instead of bagged cement
- Convenience – Ready mixed concrete is by far the most convenient way to get the desired amount of concrete for your project. Since the supplier does all of the work for you, you can save time and money, and you won’t have to worry about the mess
What are the challenges in the African market in terms of adoption of ready-mix concrete?
- Market size – low volumes of concrete within a market are unable to support investments in ready-mix businesses
- Minimum or Lack of enforcement of laid down building standards
- Lack of recognition and support by concerned authorities
- Public awareness on the advantages of using ready-mix concrete
- Availability of cheap labour
- High cost of investments – most of the equipment is imported and therefore expensive to acquire compared to other markets
What do you think can be done to overcome these challenges?
- Government should promote the local manufacture of high quality concrete equipment
- There should be strict enforcement of building standards.
What should Africa look forward to in terms of technological advancements?
- Centralized production of concrete – More and more concrete with moving forward be produced in batching plants.
- More concrete will be pumped.