Extraordinary care is necessary during the construction with brick masonry.Masonry is generally a highly durable form of construction. The tips for brick masonry with quality construction are discussed in this article.
Following are the tips for construction of brick masonry buildings or structures:
- Good brick masonry should exploit bricks which are sound, hard, well burnt and tough with uniform color shape and size.
- The bricks should be compact, homogeneous, free from holes, cracks, flaws, air-bubbles and stone lumps. These bricks should be correctly soaked in water for at least two hours before use.
- In the brick work, the bricks should be laid on their beds with the frogs pointing upwards.
- The brick courses should be laid accurately horizontal and should have accurately horizontal and should have accurately vertical joints.
- As far as possible the use of brick-bats should be discouraged.
- As far a possible the brick walls should be raised consistently with proper bond. Usually the height of brick masonry construction in a day should be less than 1.5m. The highest difference in rise of the wall between the diverse portions should not be more than one meter.
- When the mortar is green, the face joints should be raked to a depth of 12 to 19mm in order to have a correct key for plastering or pointing. The mortar joints should be stuck flush and finished if no plastering or pointing is to be done.
- In order to make certain continuous bond between the old and the new, the walls should be stopped with a toothed end.
- Finished brickwork in lime mortar should be cured for a period of 2 to 3 weeks. This period can be lessened to 1 to 2 weeks in case of brickwork with cement mortar.
- In order to carry out the brickwork at higher level, single scaffolding is used.