HomeNewsBahir Dar International Stadium to conclude in a year

Bahir Dar International Stadium to conclude in a year

The one billion birr construction project for the Bahir Dar International Stadium is scheduled to be completed in a year.

Amhara Region will cover 70% of the costs, with Midroc Ethiopia funding the remaining 30%.

Search for construction leads
  • Region/Country

  • Sector

Read also:Ruring’u Stadium to be concluded by the end of the year

The stadium is anticipated to meet the 16 fundamental requirements set forth by the Confederation of African Football.

It is the second mega stadium project after Adey Abeba, which is being constructed in the heart of Addis Ababa. Adey Abeba stadium will cost over five billion birr. 2.5 billion have already been spent on the first phase of construction.

Midroc started construction of the Bahir Dar International Stadium in 2008 with a budget of 780 million birr.

In the presence of Temsgen Tiruneh, director general of the Federal Information and Network Security Agency, Yilkal Kefale (PhD), president of the Amhara Regional State, Jemal Ahmed, CEO of Midroc Investment Group, Kajela Merdasa, minister of culture and sports, and a number of regional investors, the stadium’s second phase of construction was officially launched.

The Bahir Dar International Stadium main contractor

Midroc will continue to work as the project’s principal contractor. MH Engineering was contracted as a consultant. According to Kejela, the stadium will be fully equipped to host international matches before the construction of all other stadiums is completed.

According to Yilkal, the project will make a huge contribution to the country’s sports. He added that the primary focus is not to begin the construction but to complete it.

Additionally, they would be improving the fenced areas outside in addition to the stadium. This is in order to make it more comfortable for the youth.

The stadium hosted a number of international games in 2015 and was recognized by CAF and FIFA. It was the venue for a CAF Confederation Cup game in March 2015 between Dedebit and Cote d’Or of the Seychelles.

Additionally, the stadium hosted Ethiopia and Lesotho’s 2017 African Cup of Nations qualification game.

However, after the CAF inspection team inspected the stadium in terms of fundamental organizational requirements, CAF prohibited the stadium from hosting international games.

The assessment found that the playing field did not meet at least seven requirements. The ban was a result of problems with VIP areas, media centers, training facilities, as well as poor medical rooms.

Must Read

Construction of US$ 200M solar panel manufacturing plant in Ohio in the pipeline

Plans are underway for the construction of a US$ 200M solar panel manufacturing plant in Ohio. The facility is set to be built by...

Phase 2 construction of Dosti Eden in Brahmand Thane West, India, launched

The construction of the second phase of Dosti Eden in Brahmand Thane West has been launched. The project was launched by the leading real...

Ground breaks for electric vehicle (EV) battery giga factory in Kokomo, Indiana

A groundbreaking ceremony has been held for a new electric vehicle (EV) battery giga factory in Kokomo, Indiana. The project is developed by Stellantis in...

Construction begins on the Kennedy Expressway, Chicago

The next week will see the start of a three-year construction project on the Kennedy Expressway. Up until July, certain sections of the two...

Brightline West, Los Angeles to Vegas High-Speed Rail

After reaching an agreement with a group of significant labor unions, Brightline, the corporation behind the project, expects construction on the bullet trains to...

EPsCm contract awarded for steam cracker intensification off-gas processing project in Slovakia

An EPsCm contract has been awarded for a steam cracker intensification off-gas processing project in Slovakia. The engineering, procurement services, and construction management contract...


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here