Home News Africa CDICC orders for completion of St. Mary’s-Gitugi- Mioro road in Kenya

CDICC orders for completion of St. Mary’s-Gitugi- Mioro road in Kenya

Members of the County Development Implementation and Coordination Committee (CDICC), led by County Commissioner Mr. Mohammed Barre, has ordered for the completion of St. Mary’s-Gitugi- Mioro road in Murang’a county Kenya, before end of December this year failure to which the contract shall be withdrawn.

Also Read:Nigeria flags off rehabilitation of Osisioma–Owerrinta road

St. Mary’s-Gitugi- Mioro road

Construction works of the 40-kilometer road which is being implemented by Nyoro Construction Company begun in July 12, 2012 at a cost of US $21.1m and was expected to be completed within a period of 30 months.

However, 84 months later the contractor has managed to tarmac 70% of the entire project. CDICC says that the remaining 30% has been creating inconveniences in the county denying the county residents easy road transportation. Nyoro Construction Company has for that reason been directed to fasten their work in order to complete the remaining 12 kilometer section before the newly stipulated deadline.

The contractor, represented by John Mugo blamed the delay on cash-flow challenges which affected the implementation of daily activities on the site, slow relocation of power lines and water pipes along the site also disadvantaged continuous construction of the road.

The company however revealed that it has increased machinery and man power to hasten the work and promised the committee that the remaining work should be finished on time. The St. Mary’s-Gitugi- Mioro road serves rich agricultural areas neighboring Aberdare forest.

Once completed, cash crop growers, more especially tea farmers shall benefit hugely from the new all-weather road as cost of transportation of green leaf to the local Gatunguru tea factory shall reduce gradually.

Kenya Rural Roads Authority is currently tarmacking about 14 roads within Murang’a County, a move that is expected to facilitate transport and boost economic activities in the region.



If you have a remark or more information on this post please share with us in the comments section below


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here