Kenya’s Southern Bypass

Home » News » Kenya’s Southern Bypass

Construction of Kenya’s Southern Bypass, which is part of the US$467m bypasses road project currently under construction to ease congestion in Nairobi and the surrounding suburbs, is on schedule.

The Chinese Exim Bank is providing 85 % funding of the 30km project while the Kenya government is providing the remaining 15 %. The road is earmarked for completion by July 2015.

Infrastructure Principal Secretary John Mosonik said the bypass will be developed into a dual carriageway from Mombasa Road where an interchange will be constructed linking with Kabete-Limuru Road at Kikuyu town.

Mr Mosonik confirmed that the road has reached the halfway point of its construction adding that the opening of the Kibera-Dagoretti section is planned for July with the Dagoretti-Kikuyu section expected to be ready for traffic by December.

Mr. Mosonik said the development of urban roads, especially in Nairobi is crucial in ensuring there is minimal congestion for vehicular traffic adding that there is also need to provide pedestrians and non-motorised traffic with adequate and safe facilities in the city.

Motorists will enter the bypass from the Nairobi-Mombasa highway near Park Side Towers and run on the edge of the Nairobi National Park, Langata South Estate, Ngong Road, Dagoretti, Gitara and Thogoto in Kiambu County where it will then join the Nairobi-Nakuru highway.

The road is meant to reduce congestion in Nairobi by providing an alternative route for motorists going to western Kenya and other destinations.

The Nairobi Southern Bypass was officially launched in early 2012. The project has seen opposition is the past with allegations that it encroaches on wildlife territory.

The two other bypasses comprise the 31kmNorthern Bypass linking Limuru Road to Thika Road and the 39 km Eastern Bypass linking Mombasa Road to Ruiru-Kiambu road near Kamiti prison which will both cost US$102.4m both financed by China 85% and Kenya 15%.