China Railway Construction Corporation Limited through its subsidiary the China Civil Engineering Group Co. Ltd has signed a contract for the construction of a railway project worth US$13.1bn with Nigeria’s Ministry of Transport.
The company will build a coastal railway line 1,385 km long and a design speed of 120 km/h including 22 railway stations along the line. The rail line will connect ten states. The Chinese company has long been providing construction and engineering services in the West African region.
In the past 20 years, Chinese enterprises have built and repaired a total length of 4,500km of railway in Nigeria.
China’s private enterprises have been actively investing in Nigeria. Over 40 Chinese private firms have entered Nigeria with a total investment of US$800m in the fields of agriculture, textile industry, construction materials, mining and others.
- China to support construction of Nigeria’s largest hydropower project
- China to construct new ECOWAS headquarters in Nigeria
- World Bank lends Nigeria US $350m for rural electrification Projects
- USADF to fund US $3m energy access programme in Nigeria
- Construction works of Lagos-Ibadan Rail Project to commence this August