Cote d’Ivoire inaugurates the largest hydroelectric power station in West Africa

This photo taken on March 6, 2017 shows an aerial view of the Soubre hydroelectric dam in Soubre. The Soubre hydroelectric dam, built by China to reduce the energy deficit in the Ivory Coast, will be commissioned at the end of March, a project official said March 7. "Soubré is the most powerful hydropower-generating dam in the Ivory Coast, which will bring an additional 275 megawatts, for an installed capacity of currently 2000 MW," said Amidou Traore, general manager of the Energy Company of the Ivory Coast (CI-Energie). / AFP PHOTO / Sia KAMBOU (Photo credit should read SIA KAMBOU/AFP/Getty Images)

Cote d’Ivoire has inaugurated a US $572m hydroelectric power station. The Chinese-built Soubre hydroelectric power station is the largest of its kind in the West African country.

The 4.5-km-long hydropower dam at Naoua Falls on the Sassandra River has an installed capacity of 275 megawatts (MW). It will increase hydro power in Cote d’Ivoire’s energy as well as cement the country’s status as a key power producer and supplier in West Africa.

The Soubre project stayed dormant for several decades due to lack of funding. One of Soubre’s four total generator units started generating electricity in May. This is about eight months ahead of schedule according to the builder Sinohydro Corporation Limited.

Wang Jun, Charge d’affaires of the Chinese Embassy in Cote d’Ivoire, noted that the hydro station has helped deepen the bilateral economic and trade cooperation. This is more so especially in the areas of energy and hydroelectricity.

Also read: SINOHYDRO to construct US$85m road in Ethiopia

Quality assurance

France’s Tractebel Engineering is the company in charge with quality supervision of the dam’s construction. According to Teyssiaux Jean, an engineer with the company, Soubre dam is of high quality. The cost of the Soubre project amounts to US $572m. The Export-Import Bank of China financed 85% of the project and Cote d’Ivoire the remaining 15%.

Thierry Tanoh, energy minister of Cote d’Ivoire notes that Soubre dam puts the country on course to meet the target of 4,000 MW by 2020. He further added that the dam contributes greatly to the improvement of people’s livelihoods. A foundation laying ceremony for the 112-MW Gribo-Popoli project ran simultaneously. The dam is 15km downstream of Soubre, to be built also by Sinohydro.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here