Industrial Park in Perak “KIGIP” Malaysia’s Push for Industrial Growth

Home » Projects » Industrial Park in Perak “KIGIP” Malaysia’s Push for Industrial Growth

Industrial Park in Perak featuring large-scale solar farms across a 1000-acre land aims to attract E&E investments for Malaysia.

Industrial Park in Perak: Overview

The Kerian Integrated Green Industrial Park, or KIGIP, is a proposed 1,000-acre development aimed at promoting the use of green energy. This industrial park will have solar farms installed across 660 acres of land and will act as the primary green energy source for the area.

The 1000-acre lot area will be divided into different sections: 67% of which will be dedicated to industrial areas such as solar farms, while the remaining 33% will be dedicated to residential, commercial, and additional green spaces.

The location of the project will be built in Slime Darby Plantation’s (SDB) Tali Ayer Estate in Perak. SDP, together with their major shareholder Permodalan Nasional Berhad (PNB), will oversee the development of the industrial park in Perak.

Sime Darby Plantation’s involvement in the KIGIP industrial park launches the company into a vital role in the renewable energy landscape of Malaysia.

Sime Darby Plantation, also known as Sime Darby Guthrie, is one of the largest palm oil producers in the world.

Read also: ViaWest breaks ground on Goodyear Crossing Industrial Park Phase 2

A Strategic Location in the Silicon Valley of the East

The KIGIP is near Bayan Lepas, a suburb of George Town in Penang. Penang, known as the “Silicon Valley of the East”, acts as a hub for electrical industries. Near KIGIP are also the Bayan Lepas International Airport and Penang Port—these two significant infrastructures, together with the KIGIP form an industrial triangle focused on green technologies.

Due to its strategic location and direct access to both the seaport and airport, the industrial park in Perak poses an attractive and lucrative asset for potential investors.

The establishment of Bayan Lepas brought a significant shift in Malaysia’s economic strategy from agriculture to E&E manufacturing. This brought in foreign investments, and plenty of employment opportunities, which boosted the GDP of Malaysia.

The KIGIP is a strategic project for Malaysia’s growth, according to economist professor Tan Sri Dr Noor Azlan Ghazali. “It can attract high-value investments within Malaysia and abroad,” the professor stated.

Industrial parks are significant for the growth of businesses that in turn boost the economy and provide employment.

KIGIP’s Economic Impact

The KIGIP was first introduced as part of the National Budget Agenda for 2024. This industrial park in Perak aims to attract semiconductor and E&E (electrical & electronics) investments. Malaysia is now the 6th largest exporter of semiconductors in the world.

The KIGIP development will be a major hub for the northern region of Malaysia. Since the project is located in a prime location, situated near educational institutions and training centers, KIGIP will provide plenty of job opportunities in Perak and Penang.

According to the Ministry of International Trade and Investment (MITI), the location of KIGIP ensures there are enough jobs for skilled graduates from nearby institutions. KIGIP is also in line with MITI’s strategy to increase green investments in the country.

Read also:

Jiankun International Expands Its Property Development Portfolio in Penang, Malaysia.

LRT Project in Penang to Enhance Public Transport by 2030