HomeNewsModernization of Namibe and Sacomar Ports in Angola to start in 2022

Modernization of Namibe and Sacomar Ports in Angola to start in 2022

Vineyard Wind 1, the Largest Offsho...
Vineyard Wind 1, the Largest Offshore Wind Farm Project in the USA

The modernization works of Namibe and Sacomar Ports in Angola, on the border with Namibia, are expected to start in January 2022, according to the Angolan Minister of Transport, Ricardo de Abreu.

Noteworthy, the port of Namibe is considered as the 3rd most important port in Angola after Luanda and Lobito, while the port of Sacomar is the main port dedicated to the transport of iron ore from the Kassinga mine. The platforms however are limited by their capacities, in particular the marine facilities and terminal equipment.

Search for construction leads
  • Region/Country

  • Sector

Also Read: Angola set aside $445million to construct 21 Logistics Hubs

Scope of the project for modernization of Namibe and Sacomar Ports in Angola

The Namibe and Sacomar Ports in Angola modernization project, which is part of the Angolan ports rehabilitation, extension and modernization program adopted back in January 2016, will see the extension of the container terminal and the acquisition of facilities for refrigerated containers for the Namibe Port, and the rehabilitation of the iron ore export terminal for the Sacomar Port.

The works will be carried out by Toyota Tsusho Corporation, the trading arm of the Toyota Group, and TOA Corporation, a Japanese electronics company, specializing in public address systems, intercom systems, microphones, array speakers, and megaphones, within a period of 30 months.

Funding and expectations for the project

The modernization of Namibe and Sacomar Ports in Angola, the cost of which is estimated at US$ 600M, is 85%  financed by Japan through the Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC). The remainder of the funds (15%) will be provided by a South African financial institution whose identity has not yet been disclosed.

Upon completion, the project is expected to increase iron export volumes tenfold, as the Southern Africa country plans to reopen the Kassinga mine. It will also reduce dependence on Namibia for imports into the region while creating a gateway for imports and exports to and from the landlocked countries near Angola.

If you need more information on this project. Current status, project team contacts etc. Please contact us

(Note this is a premium service)


  1. If one is interested in offering services or products to this project how do they go about it ?


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here